VHF is working to increase students’ awareness and knowledge of local heritage places and history by providing learning opportunities inside and outside the classroom. Providing an accessible means of exploring the connections of heritage and history in their local environment will encourage students and teachers to engage with Vancouver’s diverse heritage places, and contribute to meaningful discussions around their histories and future legacies. In gaining understanding and appreciation of the many people, places and events that have shaped the city, VHF hopes students and educators will also become active participants in the creation, archiving and sharing of knowledge around heritage places in Vancouver.
VHF Heritage Study Guide 2019
We have launched a first version of VHF’s Heritage Study Guide for Vancouver Schools!
Please use the Heritage Study Guide and let us know about your classroom experiences or projects around local history and heritage places in your school communities. We are developing additional lesson plans and activity guides based on what we hear from teachers and school communities and will share a revised version and activity guide in the fall of 2020.
Connect with VHF Email to request a school visit, share feedback or ask a question!
Apply for a School Grant!
If you are a teacher or affiliated with an educational institution in Vancouver (priority is given to Vancouver School Board public schools), you can apply for one of two available grants for 2019-2020. A book grant for your class or school (for a selection of books related to Vancouver’s heritage and history) and a field trip grant (to cover some of the costs for admission to a heritage place or for a guided tour in Vancouver related to heritage and history). You can apply one time per year, per class.
- 2018-2019: Consultation Phase with classroom visits, research and input. Attended VSB Professional Development Day on Social Justice and hosted a Heritage BC session at the 2019 Conference.
- Fall 2019: First version of VHF’s Heritage Study Guide launch – pilot within schools and available online.
- Friday, October 25, 2019: BC Social Studies Teachers Association Conference Workshop presentation at Vancouver Technical High School. Register here.
- 2020 February: Heritage Week and Professional Development Days Field Trips with VHF
- 2020: continued collaborations with school communities and lesson ideas and resources updates. An updated version to be released summer/fall 2020.
Supporting the Heritage Study Guide and VHF Schools Program
Thank you to our supporters! If you would like to support this program, email us.