101 E 7th Ave, Vancouver BC
VHF Restore It 2012
Completed in 1912, this 4-storey brick building was built as a 32 suite luxury apartment hotel. At the time, the area was predominantly industrial and commercial. It may have been built to serve the passengers of the Grand Northern Railway terminus, completed in 1919. The building was converted to rental apartments in the 1920s. It became known as Quebec Manor in the 1960s. It was converted to Manor Housing Co-op in the 1980s.
The building was owned by W.D. Muir and designed by American architects Townsend and Townsend, who practiced in Vancouver from 1908-1913. They were known for designing buildings with yellow/buff coloured brick exteriors decorated with red brick patterns. Other Townsend and Townsend buildings are located at 1075 West Broadway and 1477 West 15th Avenue.
Exterior features include bay windows, wrought iron balconies with metal scroll work, 2 nude maidens made of pressed tin above entrance way. Interior features include 9 foot high ceilings, wide staircases, arched light wells and sunrooms.
Photo Credit: Christine Leviczky Riek
Quebec Manor Housing Coop, Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada 1800-1950, City of Vancouver Heritage Inventory Files