1190 Homer St, Vancouver BC
Smith Davidson & Wright were a wholesale stationers and paper dealer formed in 1907 by Fred Smith, William E. Davidson and Francis Wright. The building was designed by E.E. Blackmore and completed in 1910 on the newly released CPR lands east of Homer. By 1930 the company had expanded to Victoria, Calgary, Saskatoon and Edmonton. In 1953 the Company became Smith Davidson & Lecky. The name is still inscribed over the entrance. The new partner, John Lecky, was married to H.R. MacMillan’s oldest daughter Marion. H.R. MacMillan bought the company for his son-in-law to run. The company also had a warehouse on Granville Island.
Photo Credit: Rick Horne
Vancouver City Directories, HR, A Biography of HR MacMillan by Ken Drushka, Changing Vancouver blog