Photo Credit: Brian Kipp
191 Alexander St, Vancouver BC
This former transfer warehouse was built in 1910 for the Grand Trunk Pacific Coast Steamship Company. The building was designed by the prominent architectural firm of Samuel Maclure and Cecil Croker Fox (work mostly likely done by Vancouver-based Fox) and built by prolific Vancouver contractors Baynes and Horie.
The architectural style used is an example of Edwardian Free Rationalism, a style that sought to express structure and function. It was common in England at that time, but unusual in Vancouver.
In the mid 1970s, the warehouse was converted to offices.
Canada's Historic Places