3590 CYPRESS St, Vancouver BC
A landmark Shaughnessy home, this Tudor Revival style residence was built in 1921 for successful businessman Captain Montague Tuck who served in the Canadian Army during the First World War. He was director of Gold Seal Ltd, a distributor of fine wine and liquor, and president of Braid Tuck Company Ltd, a tea and coffee merchant.
Local architect Bernard Cuddon Palmer was commissioned to design the home and it was built by contractor Walter W. Bailey, featuring elegant interiors with finely crafted woodwork in oak and douglas fir. Noted at the time were ten fireplaces and the installation of a small elevator to deliver wood and coal from the basement, which is still in place. The fire surrounds were tiled with the famous Batchelder art tiles made in Los Angeles.
Palmer articled with prominent English architectural firms and was trained by leading Arts and Crafts designers. When he immigrated to Vancouver in 1911 he was hired by local firm Maclure & Fox to undertake the design of many Tudor Revival residences. In 1916, Palmer launched his own firm and became a successful architect for Vancouver’s wealthiest residents.
By 1929, the house was owned by Arthur B. and Lilian Palmer. Arthur Palmer had success in the Klondike gold rush and ran stores in Dawson and other mining centres before setting up a successful road construction contracting business. A succession of business leaders followed, before the house was owned by Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell in 2002-2005.
Tudor Revival style homes were popular in the First Shaughnessy District at this time.
Exterior Tudor Revival features displayed are half-timbering, a hipped roof, asymmetrical massing, and bay windows. Interior features include a grand foyer with fireplace and magnificent staircase and inlaid oak floors.
Photo Credit: Kelly Borget
City Directories, Real Estate Ad, Vancouver Heritage Foundation 2018 Heritage House Tour guidebook