8 W Cordova St, Vancouver BC
8-28 W Cordova St
The Dunn-Miller Block is a three-storey late Victorian Italianate commercial building constructed in 1888.
As one of the first buildings to be constructed of permanent materials after the 1886 fire, the Dunn-Miller Block was seen as a sign of renewed prosperity and confidence in the city's future. The Dunn-Miller Block was considered at the time of construction to be "the largest most pretentious and important structure in the city." It was designed by Noble Stonestreet Hoffar, who is credited with a number of other prominent buildings.
During the Klondike gold rush years, the building was bought by A.H. Lonsdale and renamed the Lonsdale Block. It housed the store of pioneer drygoods merchant Thomas Dunn "headquarters for Klondike supplies." It also housed the offices for the Vancouver Electric Railway and Light Company. In 1893 it housed the city's first Jewish synagogue. Since 1948 it has been part of the Army and Navy discount department store chain.
Photo Credit: Olivia Golden
Historic Places Canada